When purchased, customers with access to the API from within Data Warehouse have a quick way to connect Solver Cloud to PowerBI.
- Integration into other target systems is in progress.
Making this data available in PowerBI is simple and quick, allowing the user to focus on creating dashboards instead of how to get their data into PowerBI. The following icons perform these respective actions
|Enable/Disable the API|
|Save: active once you make a change to the page, click this icon to save the change.|
|Settings: click this icon to retrieve the API URL and the access token, required to connect your Solver Cloud to Power BI|
PowerBI offers three models with certain limitations in the amount of data that can be loaded into PowerBI. Please reference this article for more information. Solver Cloud API does not include a PowerBI user license.
How to Enable the API
- Navigate to Data Warehouse > Configuration > API
- By default, the API is disabled.
- Click the toggle to enable the API.
Note: any module selected in the next step, will enable all data from that module to be available in PowerBI with full data access. Ensure, data security on the PowerBI side has been configured so that users see only the data they are supposed to see.
- After enabling the API, a listing of all modules should appear.
- Notice that the Save button in the upper right hand corner is unclickable. As you scroll thru the list, selecting the module(s) to be available in PowerBI, the Save button becomes active. Once you have selected all the modules to be made available in PowerBI, click the Save icon to save the changes.
Note: Please reference your PowerBI license to determine how much data you can bring into PowerBI from and external source such as Solver Cloud.
- Clicking on the Gear icon, you will see two options
- API URL
- Access Token
Both of these will be needed when creating a connection within PowerBI Desktop.
This completes enabling the API within Solver. From here, connect to the Solver Cloud using the Solver App (may be called BI360 – Budgeting & Financial Reporting (Beta)) found within the PowerBI Desktop Get Data menu option. Once selected, the app will ask you for the URL and the Access token as previously mentioned. Once successfully connected, PowerBI will allow you to choose the data to bring into PowerBI and you are ready to begin creating dashboards.